Saturday, December 26, 2009

WHY WHY WHY


Why do I spend all day miserably trudging through this fast, only to throw it away on a couple of... well maybe more than a couple of snacks? When I eat, it's not starvation, it's not hunger or thirst. It's not anger, it's not boredom. It's a desperate desire to feel normal


I eat furiously, with the subtle intention of normalizing my mindset. If I can eat I can be like everyone else, right? If I can eat I won't be this alien creature that spends her time alone either eating or not eating, binging or starving. There is nothing else in my world. Nothing! If I can eat maybe I can share the food culture with my worldly contemporaries; they can accept me if I can accept my need to eat.

But the more I eat the less I enjoy it -- the more I eat the more alone I feel -- the more I eat the more I realize: I am not, not, not, not normal. Not with food at least. I think it's safe to say that I will certainly never be normal in this respect.

So naturally, only one option remains: I must be extraordinary. 

7 comments:

  1. Normal is so extrememly boring - I'm with you on being extraordinary.
    I know what you mean about eating to try and feel normal - when I eat I feel disgusting and what goes from being a low intake can instantly balloon into a full blown binge... Ugh. I'd rather fast.
    Happy Holidays!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I must say, I'm being thrown into a bout of "bacterial domesticity" as you so aptly put it in your old blog. At least, I'm pretty sure that was you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, accidently submitted that before I meant to, my bad. :]

    Anyway, please stay strong. You are already extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you're sad. I'm sorry you're sick. I'm sorry about everything, and I'm sorry that I can't help you. I've done a pretty fantastic job of screwing up myself already, so I don't think I'm of much use to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is exactly how I've felt today :( But you're totally right! we don't want to be normal, normal is mediocre (for me), normal is not an option when it comes to perfection...

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey...I just started a blog and I would be so thrilled if you took a look at it. I love your writing. Stay strong girl <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. exactly how i feel. i desperately want to be 'normal' with food. but cannot. no matter what i do.

    thanks for being relatable!

    laur.

    ReplyDelete